New map, 30 new plants

Today I planted 30 plants. Next week I will plant an extra 30.
It seems that the product I use which makes an ”invisible fence” around the garden actually works. I can’t see any bite marks and the plants seem to be in very good condition. They grow.

Status

The dandelion plants seem to thrive very well under these new conditions. I was very excited to see if the rabbits have eaten on the leaves. There must be hundreds of rabbits at the scene. I have used a product which is said to be totally environment friendly. It makes an invisible ”fence” around the groceries. It is called Revira. So far I have results which point in two different directions. Some plants look like they have been eaten on (by rabbits?), whilst other plants look very unaffected. (I have also used blood flour)
Look at the images below. The one at the top shows a plant which looks very healthy and hasn’t been eaten on. The image at the bottom shows a plant which clearly has been chewed on(but still looks strong).

 

New plants in the ground

Yesterday I planted 45 more dandelions. 15 of them were quite newly put in their pots. Usually the plants sit for one week in their pots before being planted out at Hyllie. But as an attempt to speed up the process a little I take a chance with these 15 (numbers 121-135).
I’ve also realized that the leaves must be small when I plant the dandelions in the pots. The important thing is the root. If the leaves are big,  the root must deliver a lot and cannot restore and develop as fast as desired.

Drilling was easy as usual (clay only).

 

Method

My ”method”:
I choose ”local” dandelions which grow within the premises of an old croft in Klippan. The  limit  is the borders which make up the garden. On the premises there are three houses.

In the garden dandelions are growing ”everywhere”. I pick plants which I believe will survive the migration to Hyllie. I want a plant which have a large stem root and not too big leaves. I also to a large extent pick plants which grow close to the houses, because I want the houses to appear as negative spaces at the scene in Hyllie. Besides that I try to pick plants from all parts of the garden.

I mark up each plant with a number which corresponds to a number plotted in on a map. The plant will be planted out in the field at Hyllie in the position as its number indicates.

In the garden in Klippan I dig up the dandelions with a long, narrow-bladed scoop. I stick it as deep as I can around the plant and then bend it up. The stem root usually goes off at the tip but it doesn’t matter as long as I get a major part of the stem root intact.

I plant the dandelion in a pot made of three layers of newspaper. It is cheap and easy. The pot has a diameter of 7 cm (to fit in the planting hole) and is apprx 16 cm high.

In the pot I put regular soil in the bottom and a third up, then another third with planting soil mixed with swell gel. Swell gel is a product which swells 15 times its own size when it gets wet. It holds the water, so it kind of creates a water reservoir under ground. On the last third I put the plant and some planting soil if needed.

The pot is placed with other pots in a plastic net basket. I let the basket in a shadowy place for a week, with some watering now and then. Now the stem roots develop new fine white threads which go out in all directions.

After a week the plants are ready for transport and planting out in the field. I have a soil drill which makes 7 cm holes. The soil in the recessed area is clay only. It is very easy to hand drill these holes. Each hole is then filled with a pot and marked with a stick with the corresponding number.

Grand opening

Yesterday the Agrikultura exhibition opened. Very nice opening, a lot of people and good art at the venue.
There are now 90 plants in the ground at my ‘parcel’. They have been sitting there for a week, and they thrive. Many have grown to the double sixe within a week. In this photo I think it becomes obvious that dandelion is a sallad plant.

The blue sticks look good in front of the sea-buckthorn which is growing on the site.

Mapping

And these are the mappings we used today. They are made by my son, beautiful. Can’t read all the numbers but what the heck, go there and see for yourself :).

Dandelions on the move

I’m now taking up a large number of plants at the croft. They are planted in pots made of newspaper paper and placed in the shadow to rest. Each plant is numbered and registered on a map, to ensure it will be replanted in the same position at the new site in Hyllie.